App extensions are one of the many AdWords features. App extensions allow advertisers to include an option to download their apps in the search ads.
How to enable App Extensions in AdWords?
Table of Contents
Advertisers can enable an app extension for ads by following these simple steps listed below. It is recommended that you do this with the assistance of a professional if you are new to AdWords. You can set an app extension at account, campaign and ad group level. Follow the steps listed below to enable App Extensions.
- Log in to your AdWords account and click on “ad & extensions”.
- Select “Extensions” and click on the “plus” (+) button.
- When you click on the “plus (+)” button, you will see a drop-down menu. Select “app extension” from this menu.
- Choose whether you want the app extension to run on account or campaign or ad group level.
- You can either create a new app extension or use an existing one (if you have any).
- Choose the platform for your app; i.e. Android or iOS. You can type in the name of your app in the space below “look up your app” to find your app.
- Include a call-to-action in the space below “link text”.
- The “link text” appears like this:
- You can schedule your app extensions from the “advanced options” drop-down menu.
- “App URL options” lets you add a tracking template and custom parameters.
Note: We have dedicated blogs about tracking templates and custom parameters.
How to make the most of App Extensions?
- Create a remarketing list of visitors who used mobile devices. App extensions don’t make sense for users on desktops.
- Make sure that your app is both iOS and Android compatible. Otherwise, it will lead to a bad user experience when the app download fails.
- Likewise, have both iOS and Android conversion tracking enabled.
- Your thumbnail and name on the extension should be vivid and legit. A dull ad copy raises questions of trust among users.
- Use an innovative and catchy call-to-action instead of download now. Because the market is saturated with millions of ads, standing out is the best way to win customers.
How do App Extensions in AdWords work?
As mentioned above, you can add App extensions to the account, campaign, or ad group level. You have to choose where to add them and then create a new app extension. You can also schedule the app extensions as to when you want them to appear.
The App extension showcases your mobile or tablet app by showing a link to your app below your ad. Clicking this link leads you to your app’s description in the app store (Google Play or the Apple App Store). Clicking on your ad’s headline will still point to your website.
Note: The app extension at an ad group level which is in a campaign that has app extension will use the ad group-level app extensions. The app extension at the campaign level will be overridden. Similarly, app extension at campaign level will replace app extension at the account level.
App extensions provide advertisers with an opportunity to promote app downloads free of cost with search ads. Users are redirected to the app download page when clicking on the link text. However, Google doesn’t charge advertisers when this happens.At AdNabu, we recommend our customers to use the App extensions, especially, when the shopping season is just the corner.