How to close Etsy shop in 2022? This is a question that has been on the minds of many sellers. Let’s be honest, running an Etsy business is not easy and it requires a lot of work.
When you run your own business, there are numerous things to consider: how much inventory should I purchase, how can I advertise my items more effectively, and how can I improve customer service are just a few of the issues that arise on a regular basis.
It’s important to know how to close Etsy shop, regardless of whether you’re selling on the platform or not. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to shut down your Etsy shop in 2022 using three simple steps!
Did you know that 3.3 million Etsy sellers sold products in 2022? That’s a lot of businesses. Many, though, are left abandoned on Etsy with little sales and no one maintaining them. If this is you—if you want to close your Etsy shop for whatever reason—you’ve come to the correct place.
You can do a few things to minimize the upheaval and guarantee that the procedure is clean and simple once you’ve made the decision to close your Etsy shop.
Whether you’re wanting to take a vacation or shut your company permanently, shutting down your Etsy store might be as simple as a few clicks. When it’s time to close your business, you’ll need to finalize any open orders and unpaid fines. You should also fill in any open purchases.
If you want to close your business but still have open orders that need to be filled, you can enable Vacation Mode, which allows you to complete existing purchases without taking new ones. After that, you may finally shut down your store and then remove your account.
Here’s how to terminate or pause your Etsy shop and then delete your Etsy seller account.
How to close Etsy shop?
Etsy advises that after you’ve shut your store, it might take up to half an hour for their system to process the request. You can reopen your shop without consequence if you change your mind during that time.
1. Go to Etsy and sign in using your existing account.
2. Select the “Shop Manager” icon at the top-right of the screen.
3. Open “Settings,” then “Options.”
4. Select the “Close Shop” tab, then click “Close Shop.”
A quick tip: If you’d like to erase a shop that you’ve made but haven’t yet launched to the public, you must contact Etsy Support. For information on how to contact or communicate with them, visit their “Get Help” page.
Before you can fully shut a store, Etsy requires you to have addressed any concerns and paid any outstanding fees. You’re also strongly advised to keep your shop open until all of your open orders are completed.
However, if you paid the fees and resolved the issues but still have open orders and wish to close your store, there are options.
What to do if you want to close Etsy shop but still have open orders
- Turn on Vacation Mode. When your store is on vacation, it’s visible to buyers but they can’t place new orders. You’ll be able to finish any outstanding purchases without getting any new ones while your shop is in Vacation Mode.
- Close your Etsy shop anyway. You may perform your purchases before the shop closes, but you can also finish them afterward. You’ll still have access to all of your orders, and you’ll still be able to communicate with clients. The only difference is that new consumers won’t be able to discover your business because it will be unavailable.
You can delete your Etsy account once you’ve finished taking orders and shut your store.
How to delete an Etsy seller account?
1. Go to Etsy and log into your account.
2. Click your account symbol in the top-right corner of the screen, then select “Account settings.”
3. In the “Account” tab, scroll down to the “Close Your Account” section.
4. Click “Close Account.”
What to Do before closing Etsy shop?
- After selecting your marketplace, go to the same menu and download your shop’s data. It provides you with a CSV file containing all of your current listings and information. It contains all of the listings as well as their descriptions.
- Download your sales data as well. You might become curious about what items sold better and how much later on. So don’t skip this step.
- You may also save your settings and reviews to download.
- You’ll need the reviews if you’re going to start a Shopify store. They will be useful.
- If you’re sure they don’t need to be re-ordered, you can also maintain them for future usage by putting them in a safe place. You may also want to conduct an inventory check, so this too is simple to store away for later use.
- If you are an employee who pays tax on your earnings, the funds and deposits will be accessible to you for downloading.
- Save any pictures you have. You won’t be able to download your Etsy photos to sell in your store; but, don’t forget to put them away on your computer for later retrieval.
- If you’re having trouble understanding CSV files, create a Google Docs account and import them into it.
How to Temporarily Close Etsy Shop?
With the holiday rush beginning, I hope your little Silhouette or Cricut company is sending shipments out the door. Several readers have inquired about shutting their businesses in the last two to three weeks of the year to spend time with their family and friends.
When is a Good Cutoff Date?
I’m aware that many sellers are closing their businesses for the year now, and many more will do so this week. This is a personal choice; you don’t have to shut down your store over the holidays. Don’t feel bad if you decide to take a few weeks off work. Money isn’t everything!
How to Temporarily Close Your Etsy Shop
You have three options to close Etsy Shop:
- Deactivate your current listings. To cancel your listings, go to Listings in the Etsy admin area and then Listing Manager. You’ll need to reactivate your listings through the Listing Manager when you’re ready to resume selling them. You will not be charged when your listings are deactivated if they do not expire. I also usually update my shop header and picture to indicate that I’m closed for the time being and will re-open on the XYZ date.
- Place your shop on vacation mode. By clicking Shop Settings, Options, then the Vacation Mode option in your Etsy shop, you may put it into true vacation mode. This will let you create a temporary Shop Announcement and an auto-responder to reply to incoming emails. To reactivate your store, go back to the same page.
- Leave your shop open and adjust your shipping time to a future date. If you’ll be able to respond to Etsy conversations, you may adjust your shipping times to match the date when you’ll return to your store. It’s a good idea to update your shop header and profile picture to reflect that you’ll be closed until the XYZ deadline. Consider giving potential clients a discount code in appreciation of their patience. This approach allows you to keep receiving orders.
FAQ on How to close Etsy Shop?
How to close your shop with open orders?
You may put your store on Vacation Mode until your open orders are finished if you have them. Your buyers will still be able to see your business while it’s closed, allowing them to place new purchase requests.
You can still access and interact with your orders if you close your store before resolving open orders, but your shop will not be visible to potential consumers.
How to close your shop with a Payment account balance?
Before closing your business, double-check that the bank information on file is correct and up to date. Even after you close your business, any money in your Payment account will be deposited according to your deposit schedule. You may not receive a payment if your bank details are outdated.
How to close a draft shop?
You may close your shop if it isn’t yet open to the public by contacting Etsy Support. Scroll to the bottom of this page and choose Contact support.
I don’t see the option to close my shop?
To shut your shop, go to the Shopify admin area and select Apps. Select the name of the app you want to close in the drop-down menu. Select End Shop from the drop-down list if it isn’t there. You should first pay any outstanding invoices or finish any unresolved cases before closing your business.
Is it better to close my account on Etsy?
If you’re thinking about keeping your Etsy shop for future use, the simplest way to do it is to shut it down.
Log into Etsy and go to your shop settings. Then, under Shop Settings, click Options.
Are there alternatives to closing your Etsy shop?
Yes, if you wish, you may shut your business for the holidays. I would never utilize this option if I was on vacation, as it implies. Nothing at all close to it.
However, if I wanted to take a longer break of more than a few months, I would use this option – for example, you are having a kid and don’t want to deal with your Etsy shop for several months. Alternatively, if you are planning to take an extended vacation and wish to research different store concepts.
If you put your store in vacation mode for any length of time, it will suffer damage to its ranks when you resume it. It takes Etsy a while to gather data about your shop, and the results might take anything from 2-6 weeks to arrive.
Should I close my Etsy account?
If you have outstanding payments owing to Etsy, you will not be able to terminate your Etsy account. You’ll need to settle these before closing your store.
If you close your Etsy account, the name of your shop will be deleted – it will go into Etsy shop paradise and you won’t be able to get that name back.
Can I start a second Etsy shop using the same email?
You can only use one email address per Etsy account. If you want to utilize the same email again, please modify your Etsy email BEFORE closing your store and account. You may then create a new account with your old email address once again.
If you’re planning on creating a second Etsy store, consider learning how to start an Etsy shop first.
It’s only worthwhile doing this if you’re introducing new items of a different sort. Otherwise, you won’t get anything done – in which case, it would be preferable to improve your current shop.
If you have a Gmail account, simply add an extra “.” to the end of your current email address to create a new one.
For example, yellowberry (at) Gmail is your address. – you might write yellow. berry (at) Gmail. This means that the same email address may be used on both accounts since they will all be delivered to the same address, but Etsy will consider it a new one.
If I close my Etsy shop, can I reopen it later on?
Yes, you can reopen your closed Etsy store by following the same procedure and selecting Reopen shop. Everything will be in its proper place. Of course, you will not be able to take advantage of previous search results since it will take several weeks for Etsy to read how customers use your store. However, it is possible.
Consider the following before jumping ship to what appears to be green pastures: there are several reasons for people choosing to sell on Etsy.
While I still believe Etsy to be an excellent location for handmade vendors – there are certain circumstances that may have their worth, such as my desire to explore other opportunities.
- You have more than 500 listings and a solid track record in sales, but you want to keep a larger cut of the profits (seems reasonable)
- You’ve made a lot of sales on Etsy and want to establish a brand, but you’re not sure if you can keep returning customers.
- You want to know how popular a certain actor is on YouTube, but the platform performance is wearing you down.
- Have you been selling on Etsy and have not yet made any money? The little amount of sales isn’t worth the trouble.
I really hope you have enjoyed your time here at Etsy and wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do next.
Will Closing My Etsy Shop Hurt My Listings?
In the past, if you put your store on vacation mode and left it there for a long time, your listings would suffer a significant loss and might take months to recover. Etsy has made some improvements, and this appears to be better than it used to be – despite the fact that I’ve still seen a lot of issues. Keep in mind that if you delete your listings, they may drop in ranks.
Final thoughts on How to close Etsy shop
It’s a big decision for you to make, so don’t rush into it. Consider other options first before closing your business. Only close your store if you’ve read all of the information offered. It may be preferable to deactivate your listings and leave your shop in holiday mode with a note, especially if you have a repeat buyer base.
If you want to establish a new account with the same email, be sure to change it before closing your current one.
Remember that your shop name will be deleted, and it will no longer be available to use on an alternative account. Even though you are aware that it is free and not in use.