Are you planning to advertise your business online, but cannot decide what platforms to use? In choosing the right channel to promote your company, products, or services, you need to consider several factors, like maximum visibility, costs, and return on investment (ROI). At present, the leading platforms in online advertising are Google Ads and Facebook Ads. Which one should you choose?
In digital marketing, it is essential to reach your target audience and make your advertisements visible to get the best results. Google and Facebook have the most number of users nowadays, so it makes sense to use these platforms in your promotions. In this article, we’ll compare the platforms to help you in your decision making.
What are Facebook Ads?
Table of Contents
As a social media marketing platform, Facebook has become one of the leading advertising channels due to its high number of active users. The social media site has over 2.2 billion monthly and almost 1.5 billion daily users worldwide in 2018. It makes sense to advertise on this platform to boost awareness of your company, products, or services.
To advertise on Facebook, you need to create your business account. In Facebook advertising, you will use the Facebook Business Manager or Ads Manager to post your promotional campaign. There are several types of ads you can run on the platform, including:
- Video Ads – In these ads, you can feature your products or services in action. You can also introduce your team. Video ads usually appear in Stories, News Feed, and in-stream ads.
- Carousel Ads – In these ads, you can use as much as 10 videos or images to promote your products and services. These ads are excellent in highlighting the benefits of your offerings.
- Slideshow Ads – These ads contain slideshows of texts, still photos, or video clips about your business, products, or services.
- Instant Experience Ads – These are full-screen ad formats that may include carousels, photos, videos, tilt-to-pan content, and tagged products. These ads load instantly.
- Messenger Ads – There are several types of messenger ads, namely, home section ads, destination ads, and sponsored messages. These ads aim to connect advertisers to users by starting a conversation.
- Stories Ads – These are full-screen vertical visual ads posted in Stories feed on smartphones and other mobile devices.
- Playable Ads – In these ads, you will develop a game experience to drive users towards your creative content.
- Stories Augmented Reality (AR) Ads – These ads employ features, such as animation and filters, to encourage users to interact with your business.
- Video Poll Ads – In this ad format, you will integrate an interactive element with video polls to promote your brand. These ads are only accessible through smartphones and other mobile devices.
- Image Ads – These are images of your services or products with relevant information about them, and your business, in general. It would be best if you make your ads colorful to attract attention.
What are the Strengths of Facebook Ads?
As a pioneer in paid social advertising, Facebook Ads offer several benefits and advantages for the promotion of your brand. Many businesses are already using this platform as part of their digital marketing campaigns. Here are some Facebook Ads’ strengths:
- Highly Visual Content – Facebook Ads are a great way to attract potential customers because they are powerfully visual. They can effectively deliver your message to your targeted audience through visual content like images and videos. Facebook’s excellent reputation as an inherently visual platform remains a key selling point for its growing popularity among advertisers.
- Demographics and Interest Targeting Capability – The platform will help you find users who will possibly purchase your products and services. Through these features, you will be able to target a specific group of users based on their activities, interests, and the Pages they have shared, commented, and liked. You can also focus your ads based on the users’ age, gender, job title, locations, political leanings, and specific life events.
- Dependable ROI – Because of its vast audience, the potential ROI for your ads is high. Furthermore, Facebook offers competitive prices for its ad placements. The pricing, however, depends on several factors, like messaging, scope, and overall campaign goals.
What Are Google Ads?
Previously known as Google Adwords, Google Ads is an advertising system introduced by Google to allow advertisers to promote their business in Google Search. Under this system, you will bid on specific keywords to make your clickable ads visible in Google search results.
Google uses two primary networks for its ad placements, namely, the Display network and the Search network.
In the Display network, you can use more visual ads, like banners. One advantage of this network is it covers around 98% of the World Wide Web. This network is for you if you want to raise awareness of your brand to the maximum number of users.
Meanwhile, the Search network comprises the entire Google Search platform. To promote your brand, products, and services in this network, you should bid for the relevant keywords and phrases to reach your target market.
Several factors may affect the effectiveness of Google Ads as a platform to promote your business. Among them is the popularity of the keywords you are bidding on searches and the keyword relevancy to your products or services. To advertise on the platform, you need to create or open a Google Ads account.
What are the Strengths of Google Ads?
Google remains as the leading search engine worldwide. With its high number of active daily users, you may not go wrong if you place your ads on its platforms.
Here are some of the strengths and benefits of Google Ads campaigns:
- It provides a level playing field for advertisers – Google Ads puts focus on the relevance and quality of the ads rather than costs. Because of this, it creates an arena of fair competition for both small and large businesses.
- Availability of different ad formats – Just like Facebook Ads, you can also use various forms and features in your Google Ads campaigns. Among these features are user reviews, ad extensions, Shopping ads, site links, and location targeting.
- Ads scalability and measurability – As a pay-per-click (PPC) advertising model, Google Ads are fully scalable and measurable. With this feature, you will be able to adjust your marketing campaign based on metrics, like click-through rate and conversion rate. If you achieved your desired results, you could scale up your campaign to further increase your sales. You may also scale down your placements if they are ineffective or you are low on budget.
- A high number of users/visitors – Based on Google Search data, there are over 40,000 search queries on the site per second. As the leading search engine worldwide, Google is your best source of potential customers for your business. By carefully planning your ads, you can reach the most number of users to increase your sales on this platform.
- High ROI – Because of its expansive reach and competitive pricing models, you can achieve the best ROI from your Google ads. You have to choose the relevant keywords and campaign materials to achieve the best results.
As a digital marketing platform, Google Ads has the advantage over Facebook Ads due to its long-standing popularity among advertisers and a broader audience. However, you may use the platforms as complementary tools to achieve your business goals and objectives.
Guest Post by SocialSellinator