Google AdWords by default allows daily budget to be set at the campaign level. But most business would want to set a maximum spend on a monthly/weekly basis. Although there is no straightforward solution to this, we can use automated rules to pause the campaigns if the cost increases beyond a threshold.
Monthly Budgets using Automated Rules
The following automated rule will run every day in the morning, check the cost and would pause the campaigns if it is more than the given threshold.
- Navigate to campaigns tab
- Select the campaign or multiple campaigns & click on automate > pause campaigns when
- In Requirements, select Performance > Cost
- Select greater than sign (>) & Enter the budget
- Select Frequency as Daily, 12 AM using data from Same Month
- Save the automated rule
Weekly Budgets using Automated Rules
Follow the same steps as above & in step 5. Choose Same Week (from Sun) or Same Week (from Mon) instead of Same Month.
This is not a foolproof solution as the checks are done daily once. Situations may arise where in the morning check cost was not more then the budget alloted and by next day cost increased beyond the allocated budget.
Do you use something similar for monthly budgets?. Do let us know in the comments below