The primary and essential element of Google Shopping Campaigns is the Google product category. It assists Google in verifying whether or not your item is consistent with a buyer’s search query.
As a result, your product may show up quickly when consumers conduct a search on Google for products they want to buy.
Your Google product category impacts your shopping campaign performance, so you must pay attention to it. Let’s learn how to add a google product category in Shopify now.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Google’s product category?
- 2 Guidelines for Google Shopping Category
- 3 Google product category Examples
- 4 How to Add Google Shopping Category to Shopify Products?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 6 Conclusion
What is Google’s product category?
Google product category is a way of grouping products together on the Google Merchant center. Products in each category are physically similar and intended for similar usage. For example, Clothing & Accessories, Bags, Purses, etc.
There are so many people who think that the Google product category and product type are the same things. They are not the same. Google will set the categories; if no category suits your product, you may change it to suit your needs.
Guidelines for Google Shopping Category
Follow these recommendations to guarantee that you submit high-quality data for your products.
- Only use a predefined Google product category. Only the ID or the complete path of the product category may be submitted, but not both. Use the product type [product_type] attribute if no category matches the product or if you want to create your category.
- Use the English values or numeric ID if the taxonomy of product codes is unavailable in your language.
- Pick a category that your product best fits into. Depending on the primary function of your product, choose a category. For example, even though a Microphones have other functions like a recorder, its primary function is as a Microphone. So you would use the Microphone category: Electronics > Audio >Audio Components>Microphones.
- Always choose the most specific category. For example, use the Microphone Accessories category for a Microphone Stand: Electronics > Audio > Audio Accessories > Microphone Accessories. Don’t just use: Electronics (ID: 222)
- Use the product categories published after August 2011. Don’t use the categories that were published before August 2011. What you submit may not match what you see if you utilize out-of-date categories.
- Review each section closely to understand if the requirements apply to your country or product. Google will reject your product and let you know in Diagnostics in your Merchant Center account if you don’t follow the requirements that apply to you.
Google product category Examples
Every Google taxonomy category and subcategory has a number (category id) assigned, as shown in the above image. Or you can find the category id here.
To properly categorize your product, Google needs to know what kind of goods you sell. This also helps to ensure that comparable products in the same category compete in the same auction and match categories with the relevant search query.
Here are some examples which may help you understand the Google Product Category.
Apparel and Accessories
Here is the product data for a black skater dress
|Title [title]||Skater dress- Black|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Clothing & Accessories> Clothing >Dresses|
Coats and jackets
Here is the product data for Google men’s zip-up jacket and performance pullover with the Attribute and Value.
|Title [title]||Google Men’s Performance Full Zip Jacket Black|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Clothing & Accessories> Clothing >Outerwear> Coats & Jackets|
|Title [title]||Google Men’s Performance ¼ zip Pullover Heather/Black|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Clothing & Accessories> Clothing >Outerwear|
Rings and jewelry
Here is the product data for a white gold wedding band and platinum-plated engagement ring
|Title [title]||White Gold Wedding Band-14k-3mm|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Clothing & Accessories> Jewelry> Rings|
|Color [color]||White gold|
|Material [material]||White gold|
|Title [title]||Round Platinum- Plated Classic Engagement Ring|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Clothing & Accessories> Jewelry|
Here is the product data for a Google Pixel 3
|Title [title]||Google Pixel 3- 32 GB- Midnight Blue- With contract|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Electronics> Communications> Telephony> Mobile Phones|
Here is the product data for Google security software basic edition
|Title [title]||Google Security Software Basic Edition(1-year subscription)|
|Price [price]||29.90 USD|
|Google Product Category [google_product_category]||Software> Computer Software> Antivirus & Security Software|
|Shipping [shipping]||0.00 USD|
If you are thinking, about how to submit- Mobile phones or tablets with a contract or installment plans? Here is the taxonomy to use-
- When you are submitting a mobile phone or tablet with an agreement or an installment plan, use the following Google product categories :
- Electronics > Communications > Telephony > Mobile Phones
- Electronics > Computers > Tablet Computers
- You can set the price [price] attribute to 0 for mobile phones sold under a contract. You’ll need to set the attribute of the Google product category [google_product_category] to 0 if you submit a price of 0.
- Electronics > Communications > Telephony > Mobile Phones
Wondering how to submit Gift cards?
When you’re submitting a gift card, use the following Google product category:
- Arts & Entertainment > Party & Celebration > Gift Giving > Gift Cards & Certificates
How to Add Google Shopping Category to Shopify Products?
There are two ways you can Add Google Shopping Category to Shopify Products–
1)Through the Shopify Admin page on your Shopify Store
Here are the steps-
Step-1:-From your Shopify admin, click Product.
Step-2:- Select the product from the list to add the Shopping Category.
Step-3:-Select the Type under Product Organization
Step-4:-Select the Type which closely matches your product.
2) Through AdNabu’s Google Shopping Feed App
You can do this with the Google Shopping Feed app of AdNabu.
Here are the steps to do with the Google Shopping Feed app-
Step-1:- Go to ‘Apps’ in Shopify and search for ‘Nabu for Google Shopping Feed’ app.
Step-2:- Select the product from the list you want to add Category.
Step-3:- Edit the product in AdNabu
Step-4:-Select proper Product Category from the list(When you add the product, you will get all the relevant categories there, select the one which exactly matches your product)
Step-5:- Click Save.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I choose a Google product category?
You’ll need to download the entire list of categories and subcategories from Google’s product category Help Center page. After that, you can choose the best category for each product. Please select the product with its main functionality of it.
Example:- Even though a Microphones have other functions like a recorder, its primary function is as a Microphone. So you would use the Microphone category: Electronics > Audio >Audio Components>Microphones.
How do I list my Shopify products on Google Shopping?
Google Shopping is a search engine that allows you to list your products and sell them online. Once you have an account ready and logged in, head to Merchant Center and select List Products; from here, you will need to enter the details of your products, including product name, price, description, shipping information, and more. Also, you can choose if you want to enable Google Analytics for tracking purposes.
Once everything is set up correctly, click Go Live! under the Product tab and submit your listing. If enabled, you will receive traffic from Google’s organic search results pages and paid ads. If things go well, keep updating your listings with new content (including photos), prices/promotions, etc., so that shoppers will quickly find what they are looking for!
How do I add Collections in Shopify?
It would help if you did the following to create a new Collection: Log into your Shopify admin panel.
- Navigate to Collections – Add a Collection:
- Specify the Title for your new Collection in the “Collection details” section.
- For your new Collection, fill out the ‘Conditions’ section.
Does Google Shopping work with Shopify?
Yes, Google Shopping works with Shopify. You can configure it to send customers directly to your online store instead of the search results page. Just like any other form of advertising, brand and product owners can easily tweak the content, set a budget and a price for the ad, and measure the ad’s impact using the latest tools and reports.
Enhancing your Shopify shopping experience requires that you create a Google product category. Customers may find the items they’re looking for more simply by classifying your items in a certain way. This blog post has shown you how to create a product category for your Shopify store.
To enhance your Shopify shopping experience, you must create a Google product category. Customers may discover the items they want by defining them in a particular manner. This blog post has covered creating a product category for your Shopify store. You will be on your way to developing a thriving product category if you follow the easy instructions in this blog. Is it necessary to create a Google category for Shopify stores? Please tell us what you think in the comments below!